“Let the music heal your soul.” – This statement expresses what music can do. It can heal our soul, and the soul is a profound word to describe what’s inside us. It consists of our thoughts, emotions, aspirations, personalities, and all the things that make us who we are. Anything that disturbs the peace in our soul affects how we function in our everyday lives, so making sure that we are healthy physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually is essential in our happiness and longevity.
There comes a time in our lives where we face challenges, and some are too much to bear. These difficulties stir the peace of our soul and destroy the balance of our overall being. Anxiety and depression are typical conditions that humans develop even at a young age but are common in adults who get a fair share of this thing called life.
How Does Music Heal Our Soul?
- Music helps people who will undergo medical surgeries. It diverts their fear of the procedure by assisting them to focus on the music they hear. It eases the pain they are feeling before and after their surgery. People who are scheduled to go through operations are worried, nervous, and anxious. Listening to music can ease their mind and help them forget their fears. “Many people listen to music because they identify with the song’s words and the strong emotions felt. Often people describe that listening to music has a therapeutic effect that impacts their overall mood.” Abigail Saneholtz, Psy.D said.
- Music therapy serves as a tool for developing speech in children who have mental health issues such as autism. They may learn to sing right before they learn to speak. Children with mental health conditions are often shy and hesitant to express themselves, and music is an instrument that helps them overcome their insecurities and open up. In addition, Daniel J. Levitin, PhD said, “While music has long been recognized as an effective form of therapy to provide an outlet for emotions, the notion of using song, sound frequencies and rhythm to treat physical ailments is a relatively new domain.”
- Listening to music, especially happy songs, boosts our mood and promotes positivity in our personality. It diminishes the darkness we feel caused by depression, and upbeats songs make us feel alive and groovy, encouraging a lighter perspective towards any pain we are feeling.
- Listening to music relaxes the mind and decreases the chance of anxiety. When our thoughts are busy appreciating the music we hear, the less we can think about the things that make us anxious. Music therapy aids in diffusing making us more confident and hopeful.
- Music improves our memory. Our brain can remember every rhythm, beat, and words of the music we listen to that’s why there are instances when we recall a person or an event just by hearing a song.
Music is everywhere. We can turn on our devices, play instruments, or sing. So keeping a healthy state of mind is not hard when we have music in our lives. Not everyone though can administer music therapy because it requires a degree and national board certification before one can practice it. The clinical training tackles all the vital information to make music intervention successful.
“To quell overwhelm, engage in an activity that you enjoy, such as listening to music.” Marla W. Deibler, PsyD said. Music is one of the most efficient natural medicines that help people deal with medical issues. Doctors use it as a complementary treatment to medications to aid a patient recover fast from sickness.
Listening to music promotes a healthier life as it diminishes anxiety and depression that are common nowadays because of inescapable stress in our modern lifestyle.